Thursday, July 24, 2008

Minimum Public PC Setup?

I recently visited a library that was having problems with a WinDefender infection. They have three new public computers (HP) purchased through a local individual and installed by him.

What I found when I got there:
1. No KanGuard- Couldn't figure out how to set it up.
2. The only account on the computer was administrator.
3. No password
4. No anti-virus or anti-spyware. (AVG free was installed, but not updating)
5. No lock down tool.

I setup three more accounts: exec, public, and unfiltered, got their AVG working and told them they needed to either pay for it or purchase something else. I set passwords on exec and unfiltered, and made public and unfiltered limited accounts. I didn't have time to install Steady State, but will do that when i can get back.

SO, I was just wondering, what is the minimum setup we should consider for a public access computer? Any ideas?

Cordially,

Steven Thomas
CKLS Automation Services

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home